We use the following procedure to develop and implement a Health & Safety Plan for our projects:
Pollution Risk Control
- Establish pollution management plan and set objectives and targets for pollution reduction
- Training employees on pollution hazard
- Establish monitoring programs to track compliance and warning system to alert when non
- Provide appropriate containment equipment
- Appoint Safety, Health and Environment Officer (SHE) for plants, sanitation, personal hygiene
- Conduct personal hygiene risk assessment
- Conduct weekly check to ensure a good hygiene practices
Our proposed approach and time allowance to deal with the high risk areas, particularly safety and waste management in the scope of work, are:
- To ensure employees are trained on first aid
- Contractor to provide safety equipment and protective clothing
- Educate employees on health issues e.g. HIV/AIDS and health and safety by liaising with the nearest Local Authority(Council)for support from the Health Education Division
- Establish strategic positions for sitting of refuse bins and develop a schedule for removal /emptying
- Conduct a risk assessment for spillage risks
- Obtain program for training of staff exposed to hazardous waste
We have allowed ourselves a period of a week (5 days) from acceptance of this tender offer for development of a construction phase health and safety plan.
Health, Safety And Environment (HSSE) Commitment and Policy
In a nutshell–Health, Safety, Security And Environmental Management is an integral or essential part of the way we do our business and is viewed an equal part of the greater system for the management of our business. Through efficient management, Bonanza Equipment (Pty) Ltd aims to be the ideal contractor and preferred employer. The requirements set out in this document constitute the expectations for divisional conformity with Bonanza Equipment procedure.
- This document describes the structure for the management of health, safety, security and environmental systems
- The expectations for each element of the HSSE management system.
It is, therefore, the responsibility of Bonanza Equipment to determine how these expectations and requirements are to be achieved.
- To create a workplace that protects worker health and safety with due respect for the environment, and promote an atmosphere to grow employee learning and opportunity in a way that is fulfilling, recognized and fairly rewarded
- To strive for global excellence in providing services which are secure and environmental friendly.
- Be an example to many with our hsse policy structure
- To meet the objectives of a safe, healthy, injury free and environmental sound business.
Our HSSE Policy
- From senior management to junior staff, all are responsible for a sound HSSE Continuously evaluate Health, Safety, Security and Environmental aspects of our products and services. We will comply with all applicable laws and relevant industry standards of practice.
- Bonanza Equipment is committed to the incorporation of HSSE aims into our management system at all levels. This will expand our business success by reducing risk and adding value to our services.
HSSE Management System
Bonanza Equipment HSSE Management system outlines the guidelines by which we will conduct our operations in order to protect our people, general public, our resources and the environment in which we work and live in.
Our HSSE Management system is comprised of seven interconnected components.
- Commitment and Leadership
- Policies and Objectives
- Organization, Resources and Documentation
- Risk Evaluation and Management
- Implementation, Recording and Monitoring
- Audit and Review
Of these components, each should communicate all the expectations to the employees, customers and all the stakeholders doing business with us. And each division these elements are followed and provide a continuous improvement.
Commitment And Leadership
The management shall show a desirable form of leadership and undoubted commitment to the cause of health, safety, security and the environment. Management shall also avail all the resources necessary to achieve our HSSE aims and objectives.
Leadership and Commitment Expectations
- Regular visits to site or operations to show commitment and recognize performance in HSSE functions.
- Develop HSSE goals at management level of responsibility
- Be exemplary on day to day basis by following HSSE rules and guidelines
- Delegate the necessary authority and allocate resources for implementation of HSSE functions
- Communicate with the employees, clients and sub-contractors and industry personnel so that,they know and master the intentions of HSSE policies.
- Those in authority shall be held liable to all levels of compliance with company policies and global standards
- Promote and celebrate HSSE achievements.
Policies And Objectives
The policies should clearly outline what you are going to do. Develop and communicate policies showing commitment to HSSE that is reliable and equal to other businesses. Objectives shall be defined as well, and maintained at all organizational level.
Policies and Objectives Expectation
- Set objectives for continuous improvement
- Have local HSSE policies that support and are consistent with corporate standard
- Develop specific objectives for risk reduction
- Involve all levels of management and personnel in the development of objectives for the division
- Develop performance measures to guide and measure progress towards achieving objectives
- Strive to meet and exceed all the regulatory requirements in all jurisdictions
- Review all the policies and objectives regularly to ensure they are still valid and applicable.
Organization, Resources And Documentation
Always define, document and communicate the roles and accountabilities to allow every individual to accomplish their role in improving HSSE performance.
Organization, Resources and Documentation Expectations
- Appoint and support a management team representative to act as the central point of HSSE matters.
- Make it a point that each group and individual receives adequate information and training to execute their role with respect to HSSE.
- Define the interrelationships between individuals, operating groups, support groups, employees, clients and partners in joint activities, trade associations and regulatory bodies.
- Ensure a system that provides and maintains effective procedures, resource materials and record on HSSE matters
Risk Evaluation And Management
It is essential to continually evaluate the HSSE risks to the workforce, customers and the environment. And the processes and activities for specific hazards- assess potentials, record and control the subsequent risk to a satisfactory level
Risk Evaluation and Management Expectations
- Conduct hazard assessments during the design, development, operating and decommissioning stages of equipment, process and facilitiees.
- Establish a methodology that identifies both acute and chronic hazards and their associated impacts. Address routine and non-routine tasks emergencies and outside influences.
- Apply risk management tools to all proposed activities and new business development
- Control hazards and reduce risk to a satisfactory level through mitigating and recovery measures.
HSSE considerations shall be central to all aspects of business planning or changes in the development, purchasing and delivery of our products and services.
- Identify and determine resources required to achieve the plan
- Set a time frame to develop a milestone for implementation
- Identify the means by which the plan is to be achieved
- Identify and evaluate the consequences to health, safety, security and the environment when making changes to organizational structure, personnel, equipment, and procedure
- Assign responsibility for achievement of HSSE objectives and plans at all levels of the organization
- Review and follow up on the progress towards achieving HSSE plans and objectives.
Implementation, Recording And Monitoring
Apply what you outlined as your objectives. Determine and record whether those actions are effective. Activities shall comply with the defined standards and shall continue to improve, shall be promoted and monitored through active employee participation.
Implementation, Recording and Monitoring Expectation
- Hold personnel accountable for completing tasks according to plans and HSSE performance standards
- Assign all the necessary resources and authority to groups or individuals to implement plans, processes, procedures and work instructions
- Develop and use systematic monitoring systems for both proactive and reactive performance to measure and support HSSE objectives
- Determine what records are needed to meet HSSE policies, objectives, company standards, local regulations and customer requirements
- Create records that are clear, easily understood and unambiguous. Store records for a time interval consistent with good practice and local regulations
- Collect and record information on incidents which are actually or have the potential to affect health, safety, security and the environment S Evaluate incident information to determine the need for corrective action to prevent repetition and distribute lessons learned.
Audit And Review
This is the time to prove that you did what you said you would do. Audits and reviews shall be conducted to verify the implementation and effectiveness of the HSSE Management System and its conformation to this specification.
Audit and Review Expectations
- Set frequency and level for audits for each division or operation
- Monitor progress towards achieving and completing corrective actions at scheduled time intervals.
- Document and distribute the audit report for corrective actions and future reference. Review all the affected employees
- Schedule periodic management system to reviews to include, but not to be limited to:
- Audit finding summaries
- Current and future requirements of customers and regulators
- Feedback from employees
- Feedback from customers and regulators
- Appropriateness of current systems to meet business needs
- Analysis of risk management process
- Create review team with the authority to change the system and update the system requirements.
In the process industries, because of the nature of the material and technologies HSSE becomes paramount and needs a special focus on continuous improvement. Bonanza Equipment always seek the best HSSE practices in order to reduce the incidence of injury and ill-health, improve the environmental protection and sustainability measures, improve security of its employees, clients and customers, improve compliance with regulations, reduce HSSE- related costs and enhance company reputation.